Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Decemberists

I apologize for the extended hiatus. I left last friday for California, and through the whirlwind of weddings, Disneyland, and flights, I didn't have a chance to put anything up. Never fear however! I'm back.
My little brother, my sister, and I all went to Disneyland this weekend, and it was totally magical! So many countless people, all enjoying and reveling in all the many stories and characters there. From rides to fireworks, and from elated smiles to seeing favorite movies come to life, there was an immense sense of the importance--and magical nature--of storytelling.
The Decemberists are savant connoisseurs when it comes to storytelling. Colin Meloy's background in theater, and their shared passion for crafting not merely a song, but an epic tale, makes every one of their creations a journey.
First up, The Mariner's Revenge Song!!!!!! If you don't have every word of this memorized...get on it. So awesome, so scary, so good! This is a live version, I also just ran into a lego version on youtube...
(Note: their songs are EPICS, so they're kind of long, but absolutely worth watching and listening to!)
No Decemberists post would be complete without The Crane Wife Parts I-III. An amazing story, an amazing song (or three) and an amazing band! Another live version, just to show you how great they are live! (Make sure to check out the original versions of both too)


This is Why We Fight was one of the greatest moments of my life live, and the music video is stunning. 

16 Military Wives: An epic Model United Nations extravaganza...just watch it.
And finally, a piece of beauty. A piece of storytelling. A piece of magic. If Disney could make a ride this poignant, this stirring, this wonderful, then I'm sure Walt's dream would be fulfilled. 







No comments:

Post a Comment