Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Said The Whale: Helpless Son (Tear-Jerker)

It's funny how life works. I nearly scrolled right past Said The Whale announcing their new music video, putting it off as just another video. Something urged me to click the link however, and after I saw in the description that they cried while writing the song, I knew I had to watch attentively rather than let the internet suck my soul on ten different windows while it played. Boy am I happy I did.

This song and video are emotional. They are powerful, they are tragic, they are hopeful. I cried watching it. I hadn't realized the weight behind the words until I saw them held up before me by sons and daughters holding their parents. Losing my mother to breast cancer, the song spoke to me as if written specifically for my life story, but even without a traumatizing family event, every single human being needs to watch this video. It tells and shows a story of love, of friendship, and is a reminder to cherish each and every day with those we love. The words:

I'll keep you close with all my might 
And I'll always call you back on time

Just really choked me up, but the song finds such hope in such unbearable sadness, and that's what family is for: making the dark times a little more bright together. Disease, age, and the cruelty of life can seem overwhelming, and being the 'helpless son (or daughter)' is nothing new for far too many children, but take the advice of Said The Whale. Seize on the wondrous gift that every day you get the chance to show the ones you love that you care. Ask them, "all about their youth, the boys they kissed, the men they knew, the places that were dear to you." Be in their lives before they're no longer in yours. Love and be love-full every day. Always. 
I Miss You Mom. Always


No comments:

Post a Comment