Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Coachella: One Hell of a Weekend

Am I still dreaming? This past weekend was hands down one of the most amazing and memorable experiences of my entire life. A veritable lifetime of wonder was condensed into three days of magic, majesty, and music. From the breathtaking venue itself--massive in scope and gargantuan in imagination--to the unbelievable lineup and unreal performances each and every artist put on, I can't even begin to describe the wealth of memories, pictures (I took a BP-oil-tanker full of pictures), and joy that this festival gave me. 

Each day we arrived at the venue soon after doors opened, and stayed for at the very least 12 hours straight of music! I feel like the luckiest human being alive, seeing an amazing 26 full sets by nearly all of my favorite bands. I'm still flabbergasted that I was feet from The Neighborhood, was serenaded by Of Monsters & Men, rocked with Local Natives, was humored and made to feel like family by Band Of Horses, jived and got down with my bad self with Jurassic 5, and finished off the night with Tegan & Sara. Phew. And that was all the first day! 

I lost my voice and pounds of bodily sweat with The Wombats, chuckled heartily at a blessedly brief few minutes of 2 Chainz, was pleasantly transported by Bat For Lashes, raged my face off, snagged a vuvuzela, got lazer money, and fought off Harlem Shaking Australians at Major Lazer, sang along to the crooning  Postal Service, jumped until my legs turned to jelly at Two Door Cinema Club, and had to rummage around on the crowded ground at my feet during Phoenix to find my dropped jaw. A day two to remember! 

When I was sure life couldn't get any better I started my morning with a multi-instrumental one man show of impressive proportions with Robert Delong, had all of expectations completely shattered when The Lumineers put on one of the most awesome shows I've ever seen and played on even after their mics were turned off, had the absolute time of my life at the surprisingly rowdy and unsurprisingly phenomenal Vampire Weekend show, and finished off my weekend with the craziest of light shows provided by Pretty Lights and a nearly 2-hour festival-ending set by Red Hot Chili Peppers. 

And those are just the big, recognizable names!!!!!!!! I could write for many more hours, deep into the night about how incredible Coachella was, but instead, I'll try to show you with some of my fuzzy, bouncy, annoying-because-I'm-singing, and low-def videos of it. Also, PLEASE check out any of the bands mentioned above if you haven't, because each and every one was incredible! 
Major Lazer was completely ridiculous! This is the smallest taste of an unreal experience. 
Of Monster & Men was off the chain! 
Local Natives were infinitely talented and effortlessly flawless! 
Phoenix's show was powerful, emotional, and beautiful. 
The Lumineers....WHHAAAAAAA?!? So good! 
And of course, what better way to end it than Vampire Weekend's relentless energy and wonderful songs!? 

My goodness. I feel so blessed that my amazing sister took me to this life changing festival, that the incredible Meghan Proulx battled through sickness, Australian men falling on her, and unbearable heat to share this experience with me, and that so much great music is made by and shared by so many inspirational and epic people. Here's to an unbelievable Coachella, and to many, many more to come!  

If you're a real trooper and are still reading, and haven't unliked, and blocked my blog altogether for putting up all this drivel, then here's an actual song for all your trouble...who knows, Daft Punk at Coachella next year? One can dream. 

2 comments:

  1. Did Vampire Weekend play any new songs? What do you think the new album will be like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, they played three or four new ones which were all really good! You can find the one they've already released here: http://sumptuoussynthphonys.blogspot.com/2013/03/vampire-weekend-step.html

      I think the album will be awesome! It sounds like a slightly different sound, maybe a bit more conventional but still fun and amazing! Thanks for being an active participant in the blog, and I hope you enjoy more and are inspired to comment more often!

      Delete