Monday, September 30, 2013

The Lumineers: Stubborn Love (One of the Most Impressive and Powerful Concerts of My Life)

Thanks to my amazing sister Hannah, I was blessed to be able to see The Lumineers this past Saturday night, and let me tell you, did they ever illuminate my weekend, my year, heck, my life! They are such an amazingly talented, lovely group of individuals who truly care about their music, their audience, and the experience of seeing them live. The reason I'm not posting any pictures or videos of this unreal show is that they asked the massive Greek Theater crowd (5,801 eager Luminees) to please put away their cell phones and cameras and be HERE, be NOW, be PRESENT for what was happening in front of them. Wesley Schultz, the lead singer ensured the hipster L.A. crowd that, "You don't need to prove to your friends that you were here. They'll believe you." It was beautiful.

95% of the crowd were decent human beings and set aside their lofty instagram aspirations and facebook fancies to have a wonderfully distraction-free show, and it really made a difference seeing a crowd that was much more wholly invested in the art happening in front of them, rather than viewing majesty through a 4.87 inch screen. Don't get me wrong, I'm in so deep in unhealthy smart phone addiction that I was itching to video all the amazing moments of their show, but afterwards I was able to walk away not with video files in my pocket but with uncapturable moments of community and gorgeous harmony engrained forever in the smartest portable device known to man: my memories. 

By using my non-digital eyes, I was witness to some truly magical songs. Managing to make a six-thousand strong crowd personal and intimate, The Lumineers lit up that theater with unparalleled soul and heart. At points dispersing themselves amongst the entire audience to make the venue shrink and the sound and soul magnify, they were musical geniuses from the first haunting treble that echoed whilst 5 chandeliers rose slowly through the air to begin the show, to the final jubilant chords floating away after 'Stubborn Love' was sung by 6,000 voices jumping up and down chanting, "Heaaaad uppp! ..............Looooovvvve" into the perfect night. 

Sigh.
 It's always those last swelling, overwhelming numbers that get me. There's so much vibrancy in that final triumphant exhalation after a night well spent. So much palpable joy as every person in that audience feels the same uplifting wave of joy and community. As each voice harmonizes with the next. As 6,000 disparate backgrounds and stories and experiences mesh together into one warm web of love and you can't help but smile at the shared human experience. It's those moments that cement my love of music, that make drives into L.A. worth it, that fuel my ceaseless musical discovery. To breathe in that ecstatic swelling music is all I need, and to exhale as one with a crowd high off the same sumptuous sound stimulants is breathtaking. Mmmm. 

Anyway, 'Stubborn Love' was powerfully awesome, and La Blogotheque has a great Take Away Show of The Lumineers playing 'Stubborn Love' on a rooftop for close friends. The small audience jangles their keys along to the song, and there's one poor guy in a green shirt who is the brunt of the joke and has to jangle imaginary keys at the 3:00 mark, and then once again is made to look ridiculous at 4:12. This song, this video, this band. They're amazing. Enjoy friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment