Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Paul McCartney: Little Willow

I most likely will not be posting again until Sunday or perhaps even Monday night because of the whirlwind of activity (traveling, visiting old and new friends, and hucking mad frisbees at the Santa Monica Leiout Beach Frisbee tournament) before school begins.

I woke up today just craving The Beatles and proceeded to burn over 100 songs from my dads complete Beatles discography onto my computer so that I could once more sing along like crazy to the songs that I was raised on. Searching for something a little more lullaby-like (because lets face it, I'll be sleep deprived the next few nights, and then there's the whole school thing directly following) I remembered how very beautiful and touching Paul McCartney's 'Little Willow' was. I already knew that it was a gorgeous song that brought up emotions for me, but after seeing Paul's lovely music video (crying) and learning that 'Little Willow' was written for the children of Ringo Starr's first wife, Maureen Starkey Tigrett, who had recently died of cancer, the song took on a whole deeper meaning for me. The elements may beat and thrash against all of us little willows, but we can only bend with the trials and winds of each day, and stay resilient until the dawn.
Life, as it happens
Nobody warns you
Willow, hold on tight
Sleep, little willow
Peace gonna follow
Time will heal your wounds
Thank you Paul. Sleep well music-loving willows: may this song guide your dreams and brighten your day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment