Monday, October 1, 2012

Detektivbyrån: Karlekens Alla Farjor (Bells and Happiness!)

For all those Swedish folk, glockenspiel, traktofon, toy piano, Theremin, drum box, and small bell enthusiasts out there, your day has finally come! I may be writing this to a niche audience, but if you take the time to listen, you too may join the regal ranks of Detektivbyrån fans! I absolutely promise you that I would butcher an attempt to describe the sounds these guys make, so I'm going to let your ears decode them on your own, enjoy!
This first one, 'Kärlekens Alla Färjor' (don't even ask, I have no idea how to say it or what it is) really breaks wide open at the one minute mark, and does some crazy things that I'm a big fan of!
This next one, with the surprisingly comprehensible title Life/Universe, has an addictive opening that sounds like something Daft Punk would do for a new Tron movie. It then brings in their signature bells, and overall is pretty snazzy, it's actually growing into a big favorite of mine just over the few times I've listened through it while writing this post. It gets super intense and almost EDM-y and drop-y at 1:15, and has this overall spooky vibe intermixed with the nice happy bells. Good stuff if you ask me! 

Finally, and perhaps most impressive, is seeing how they actually create all this Swedish madness! Like frenetic magicians, they somehow mix all their many conflicting ingredients together into a concoction unlike any other. Just watch, and be sure to stay until the end, the second half is equally awesome!




1 comment: