Saturday, March 23, 2013

Vampire Weekend: Step

I've been saving my Vampire Weekend post for when the full album drops on none other than May 7th, but heck, who can sit still and be complacent with these guys!? Can we take a moment to appreciate the album title? Really though, 'Modern Vampires of the City'! Does it get more epic than that!? 
Epicness indicators:
  1. It's a Vampire Weekend album
  2. The album title sounds like a fantasy book about vampires that doesn't suck
  3. The album cover is stunning
  4. The singles thus far indicate a new exciting direction for Ezra and the gang while staying Vampire Weekend-y and awesome
  5. Did I mention it's a Vampire Weekend album and that I'll be seeing them live in 27 days?!
So what does this new Vampire Weekend sound like? Well it sounds pretty amazing if you ask me! While I'm still warming up to 'Diane Young'--their other released single--'Step' is an instant favorite! Classic charming lyrics (made all the more cryptic and thought-provoking by seeing them in the lyric video), some cool variations including vocal distortion, and a hook that is impeccable and forced me to be repeating this song again and again! For some inexplicable reason, there's something about when Ezra Koenig sings the line, "but actually Oakland and not Alameda" that floors me. Listen yourself and tell me that line's not special in some way!

Damn, 9 listens deep just in the last hour, this song is growing on me like Streptococcus Pneumonia (a type of fast-replicating ear bacteria which I hope none of us ever contracts). Without further ado, finish your weekend in vampire fashion with this legendary track! Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment