Monday, September 24, 2012

Freelance Whales: Generator 1st Floor--Generator 2nd Floor (Magical Musical Experience)

The Freelance Whales have gone an unhealthy amount of time not being featured on this blog. It's time I remedied that. Every song I've ever heard by them is among my all time favorites. They're emotional, they're evocative, they're electric, they course and beat with an energy that I can't explain or pinpoint...They're just really good! If you are even slightly intrigued by what you hear here (haha), then please, without a seconds hesitation, go and buy Weathervanes, their debut album, which is a journey unlike any other. The album begins with 'Generator 1st Floor', and its penultimate song is 'Generator 2nd Floor', so after hearing these two, you simply must experience the meat of the album between these stunning bookends! iTunes describes their songs as "the weaving of the ol' plucky banjo with gurgling synths and an aural wash of harmonium [which] somehow all blend to make perfect sense". And oh, what perfect sense it is! Don't even rest on this one, just go get Weathervanes, it's life-changing!
'Generator 2nd Floor' is heartbreakingly sad, heartbreakingly beautiful, and heartbreakingly too short. Also the music video is slightly creepy...
Urggg. I promised myself I would only put up two of their songs, but after seeing the music video for 'Hannah' (one of my absolute favorites) it was physically, emotionally, and spiritually (maybe add cheesily?) impossible for me not to post it! This song is so cool! Who isn't "partial to the night sky" and "vaguely attracted to rooftops?"Gorgeous, breathtaking, GO GET IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment