Monday, February 18, 2013

Pacific Air: Float

One of the two remarkable openers for Ra Ra Riot last tuesday was Pacific Air. Whatever misgivings the audience initially felt at their hair styles were remedied instantly by their music! Delivering powerful ballads that sweep and swoop between massive swells and melodic harmonies, Pacific Air wowed. You may recognize their song 'Float' as the massively magnificent song that was my second blog post ever, back when they were called Ko Ko. They've grown immeasurably (as has their hair) and the band that stood before me last week is certainly one to keep an eye on! 

Their song 'Float has certainly garnered quite the following, and been remixed countless times. My favorite is the unbelievable Sound Remedy Remix, which has over 50 plays on my iTunes not to mention the infinite on my iPod. After the show last week, I had the privilege to meet Pacific Air, and I told the frontman how much of an influence remixes of their songs had had on me and how much I loved what I'd heard from them that night. He was stoked and told me in return that the DJ's 'TheFatRat' and 'Sound Remedy' had been IN THE AUDIENCE THAT NIGHT for the show and were good friends of the band. God what a small world! It was epic, their original song is epic, and here's a few epic remixes for you! 

When the entire band started whistling this tune...I can't even.

My personal favorite of the remixes, Sound Remedy crafts a song that is literally in my top ten songs ever. It takes so many unexpected turns and twists, and is the most melodic and tasteful dubstep-y song I may have ever heard. 1:45 will blow your mind, then truly, 4:05 and onward is some of the coolest stuff my ears have ever heard, lobes down.

TheFatRat, the other DJ unknowingly in my midst, delivers a fairly remarkable remix as well, a little less magical for me, but equally fresh!

And finally, that old stand-by, RAC had to jump on this song that all the cool kids were remixing, and created something haunting and barely recognizable as the same song! My least favorite of the mixes, this version does have some SICCCCCCKKKKKKK vocal distortion, and still would win in a remix-fight with the bulk of my music! Enjoy and sound off on which is your favorite in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment